San Juan Country Club is Farmington’s selection for fine recreation and dining. It was started in 1952 by local businessmen, who wanted a Country Club with a clubhouse and a golf course. The first planning meetings were held at McCormick Elementary School with approximately 35 in attendance.
Lifetime membership and assorted fundraisers were held to build the clubhouse and complete the first nine holes. Some area families purchased the lifetime memberships for $1250 even though they were not guaranteed the club would be a success.
Initial Lifetime Membership Purchasers
Mr. & Mrs. Ray Atchison, Mr. & Mrs. Tom Bolack, Mr. & Mrs. C.C. Culpepper, Mr. & Mrs. J.L. Foutz, Mr. & Mrs. H.C. Lyle, Mr. & Mrs. Neal Martin, Mr. & Mrs. C.H. Nye, Mr & Mrs. H.W. Peacock, Mr. & Mrs. Nat Skousen, Mr. & Mrs. H.M. Taylor
C.C. Culpepper- President
Ray Atchinson-Vice- President;
Tom Bolack- Secretary/Treasurer
First General Manager- Neals Bruhm
First Golf Professional-Tex Mcharen